Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Linking up.....Ordinary Days


I've never done this before so bear with me.....I'm linking up! My friend, Alison, over at Stuff and Nonsense blog is hosting a link-up about ordinary days. So here it goes....a somewhat ordinary Wednesday for a PACyber-schooling family.....

6:00 a.m. - wake up timefor me to spend at least 30 minutes in quiet time devotions. (The main way I stay sane).

6:30 - 7:30 a.m. - I check e-mails and blogs and facebook. Then I spend time working on my fitness routines (I teach fitness classes at a local gym).

7:30 a.m. - Breakfast time for everyone. Usually kids are up around 7 a.m., so they choose to read or hang out quietly playing a board game, legos and such.
Breakfast time means family meeting, announcements for the day, reciting Bible verses that we are working on, and doing family devotional.

8:00 a.m. - Getting ready - showers, brushing teeth, any morning chores.

9:00 a.m. - official start to our school day. Evan (4th grade) and Ann-Marie (2nd grade) use the Calvert curriculum under the umbrella of PACyber Charter School. They are required to log-in to their school computers for attendance and announcements. Evan likes to get on his computer early (usually 8:45 a.m.) since he does keyboarding, spelling, and art on-line independently - he likes to get these done before the official start of school. I show Alec what is in his workboxes so he completes his independent activities while I work with older two children. Alec's workboxes have lego projects, playdough, puzzles, books on tape, wikki stix, etc.

9:00 - 10:00 a.m. - I work with Evan on math, science, social studies, and/or composition - whatever he has for the day that needs explanation. Ann-Marie works through her independent workboxes (hers has math practice, handwriting, reading, a book to read to Alec, Bible study, and anything else she can complete independently.

10:00 - 11:00 a.m. - Evan and Ann-Marie switch and I work with Ann-Marie while Evan works through his independent workboxes. Evan's contains grammar, handwriting, learning chess, Bible study and anything else he can complete independently.

11:00 a.m. - 11:30: I work with Alec - we complete calendar activities, theme activities (we are working slowly through My Father's World Kindergarten), any letter or pre-reading activities I might have planned for him.

(*typically we break for lunch at noon and do group time at 1 p.m. - but this is about what our Wednesdays look like, which are a little different)

11:30 - Evan takes dog on short walk, everyone gathers a lunch (premade by mom, of course) to eat in the car and we are in the van ready to go at 11:45 a.m. (we almost made it!) Drive to Wexford (about 45 minutes).

12:30 - 2:45 p.m.: Evan and Ann-Marie take a recorder class (instrument/music) and a creative arts sampler class at our PACyber Charter School support center. I drop them off and take Alec with me on errands (not a popular idea for him!)

2:45 p.m. - drive home

3:30 - 5:30 p.m. free time - Wii time, screen time is popular during this time, although we do limit screen time to no more than one hour.

5:30 p.m. - dinner

6:00 - 7:00 p.m. - Alec has soccer. Evan and Ann-Marie come also, since Darrell has a night appointment.


7:00 - 8:00 p.m. - bedtime snacks, baths or showers if needed, getting ready for bed.

8:00 p.m. - everyone in bed and reading or looking quietly at books. Alec has lights out at 8:30 p.m., Evan and Ann-Marie have lights out at 9:00 p.m.

10:00 p.m. - is my bedtime! I am not coherent past this point.

So there you have it! Go visit the Stuff and Nonsense blog if you want to participate or peak into another family's daily homeschooling routine!

2 comments:

Alison Agnew said...

Thanks so much for joining the link up! I hope it will draw more blogs as the weeks go by. I've been doing some pr for it.

So interesting to see how other families spend their school days. I think next week I'm going to write about our trip to McConnells Mill.

Ponderozamom said...

OK. I could only DREAM about an organized day like this! That's awesome! I came here via your link on Alison's site. Glad you have a blog!