Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Things that make you go hmmmmmm.....

Alec, our famous non-sleeper, has a habit of coming into our bedroom most nights somewhere around the 3:00 a.m. hour. We finally gave into this habit and put a sleeping bag on our floor and have him pretty well-trained to crash there and not climb into bed with us. Now that he is potty-trained during the day, I have noticed how amazing his, ummmm, holding power is (not sure of how to put that.) I began wondering if his bladder was waking him up at night. So last night when Alec made his appearance at 3 a.m., I hauled my tired body out of bed and took him to the bathroom where he promptly did his duty. This morning he woke up dry!

That's the good news but there's a dilemma. Evan, who is almost eight, is still not dry during the night. So how do we praise Alec in his overnight dryness, without putting a dink in Evan's self-esteem, as he is a true DEEP sleeper? Any comments are welcome.........

2 comments:

April Emery said...

What about high-fiving Alec when he gets up but not making a huge deal of it after that and then maybe as you put him in bed remind him of how awesome it is that he is waking up dry. Do your boys share a room? If they do then I am not sure how to handle it ... ESPECIALLY because I have no one potty trained in my house at the moment.

I miss you and am sooooo excited that I will get to see you tomorrow at our Steering Meeting

Anonymous said...

Just my two cents, but I wouldn't make a big deal about being dry. You can tell him "good Job" discreetly and quickly but to him it just came naturally and doesn't seem like he needs the praise to keep it up and stay encouraged, as would be the case if you guys had been working on it. hannah did this early too and we were excited but she didn't really get it. To her it was just like when she could reach the counter or open the fridge. KWIM? It is from an adult perspective (or older child) that it becomes significant. In you rsituation, it would probably do more good to just be kind of non-challant so that Evan feels like "it's ok if I get it and it's ok if I don't yet, because Mom and Dad didn't get that excited about it" Does that make sense? Again, haven't encountered this so I could be totally off, just from a counselor and developmental perspective. HTH!