Saturday, March 21, 2009

Very Thankful....

We have been fortunate to have very healthy children. We have dealt with seasonal allergies, one broken leg, lots of ear infections, and normal childhood illnesses. I do realize how blessed we are. Last evening made me even more thankful for our healthy children and the medical care we have very close to home.

On Thursday, Darrell took Alec into the dr. because we knew he had a double ear infection. He's been battling it for a month now, and we knew he needed stronger medicine. Ann-Marie, our ear infection professional, had broken us into the signs...so we're seasoned now. However, the doctor also gave Alec steroids for a wheeze in his cough that we were unaware of. He has been coughing for so long, I think we had become deaf to it.

Yesterday morning, Alec had his normal cough...but when he woke up from nap (early) he went into several coughing fits that made me nervous. When Darrell came home, I called the doctor's office and the person who answered the phone told me to take him in immediately. So we were sent to the Beaver Pediatric office, who has extended hours. While we were in their waiting room, the nurse heard him coughing, came out to the waiting room and checked his blood/oxygen level and we were immediately seen. As the doctor was checking Alec, Alec went into an even worse coughing fit and I have never seen medical professionals at a clinic move so fast. He was immediately put on a nebulizer. After one treatment, they checked him again and we stayed for a second treatment. Once things calmed down, the doctor explained to me that Alec's blood/oxygen level should be in the upper 90s and his was 92. The doctor said he was basically "falling off a cliff."

Now for those of you who deal with this on a regular basis, this episode might not have been as scary for you. This was our first time...I have never had to use a nebulizer before. So we are very thankful for lots of things today, but especially for the timing of Alec's coughing fit (if we would have been home, we would have called an ambulance) and for the attentiveness of all the medical staff that saw us (and heard us over the phone) last evening. A side note: I'm learning that these treatments really make your child act WIERD.

4 comments:

Linda said...

I'm so happy everything turned out so well. God was watching over you guys!! HE is so awesome!

Anonymous said...

Poor little guys, and you guys too! I pray that things continue to improve and that God keeps His powerful hand of protection over all of you. You blog's songlist kept me company as I typed out work stuff tonight! Have a blessed week!

Anonymous said...

I'm up again typing away on my reports. Thanks for keeping me company! Hope your little guy is feeling much better!!

Anonymous said...

Praising God with you...also thanking Him for healthy children!!! I am sorry you went through all of that and I had no idea!